1. Jesse
    4/29/2015

I had the privilege of working there from 1998-2000. It was an incredibly neat place and Joe was an incredibly neat person! Lots of great memories as a patron and as an employee.

2. Bill Sullivan
    4/29/2015

There was so much history at this bar—–and to lose all of it for a Walgreens, how sad!!!

3. David Lawrence
    4/29/2015

It’s sad when such an iconic place is lost. I worked for many years at the old Luna Bar in North Oakland. It stood for 75 years at the corner of Centre & Craig, surviving 15 times as long as the amusement park from which it took its name. Generations met, fell in love, toasted lost friends, celebrated graduations…or just a random Thursday night.
    Something irreplaceable is lost when a Chiodo’s…or Luna…goes away.

4. Peter Machamer
    4/29/2015

JOe was a great guy ana good friend. WE Would do beer tastings at the bar. ANd sotimes his friend Maro would brin g his homemade winer and salami. one eve we had a reception for cvA> wine maker, Gary Eberle, at the bar. I was paying off a bet on PITt-Penn State game, PItt most often l,ost.
    THere qwas a concrete slab in the back that said “Peter Machamer’s an joe chiodo’s vineyard. Because we replanted after some one had just down the grape vines in rthe Italian Garden.
    TH bar and Joe are surely missed. HE was one of PIttsburgh’s great characters. ANd there aren’t too many left.

5. Valerie
    4/29/2015

before it was ciodo’s it was Trautman’s. It was owned by Jacob Trautman. .

6. Ian Brendel
    4/30/2015

These are the kinds of places that make life interesting and it’s a travesty that’s it’s just crappy pre-fab retail now. Such a bummer to read this article.

7. David Conrad
    4/30/2015

At Chiodo’s closing auction two reps from USSteel came in and told Joe he should give the 6 foot USSteel he had hanging in his beer garden “back to the company because we know it was taken off Mill property without permission.”
    Joe said, Up yours, you want it, buy it.
    They stayed and when the sign came up for auction a collection of locals outbid them to the tune of 4g grand.
    The sign now sits in Pump House park, the only public space in the entire Waterfront property, facing the USSteel research bldg.

• brandon w
      5/7/2015

interesting! cool tidbit I’ll have to look for it

8. wowee
    5/1/2015

There was nothing like Mario’s homemade wine. Joe was Pittsburgh. Chiodo’s is truly missed. It was the place to be on St. Josephs Day, March 19.

9. Booboo
    5/5/2015

My wife and I absolutely loved this place. We spent many a night on the back patio and I can say I have ordered a number of Mystery Sandwiches and other great food that was served here. The entire staff was great a Joe was a wonderful man. I was heartbroken when it closed. They closed paradise and put up a Walgreens.

10. Harry Theofiledes
    5/6/2015

Chiodo’s was such a destination in Homestead. It was a amazing all the items that was collected over the years and it was a fun place to go have a beer. I remember one time a few of us guys started out there having a few beers and tried to have a beer in every bar along the way to the other end of Homestead. We never made it!

11. brandon w
    5/7/2015

Great article! I went here for my 21st birthday in 2002. Sad it didn’t stick around too much longer after that. #neverforget

12. Kondos
    9/4/2015

This was a bar that had real people in it. It would have never of survived today’s age.

13. June
    9/18/2015

I miss Chiodos. I miss my dad. I love seeing these pictures and hearing that others still remember Sam and Joe. Thank you.

14. Pete Sanderson
    7/1/2017

Loved going to Chiodo’s in the late 80s while in grad school. In addition to everyone and everything mentioned in previous posts, it was one of the few bars at that time offering a selection of craft beers.