Isaly’s in Oakland and the secret to Skyscraper Ice Cream Cone

It’s been more than 30 years since the legendary part of Pittsburgh’s food scene faded away from its landmark location on Boulevard of the Allies. But when you hear native Pittsburghers talk about historic ‘happening’ food scenes that represent more than just a ‘grabbing something to eat’ kinda place, you’ll most certainly hear a story or two or maybe ten about Isaly’s, the famous dairy that offered chipped ham and legendary Skyscraper Cones formed by special spoons. Oh, and the Klondike ice cream bar also took its wrapped-in-chocolate shape at Isaly’s, it’s just that only few people know about it because corporate transitions erased all signals tracing Klondikes back to Isaly’s.

What’s in the name? It’s a family name. William Isaly founded the company in 1902 in Ohio, the Pittsburgh branch was established 30 years later by his son Henry. To remember the name and help people with the spelling of Isaly’s a marketing campaign suggested a read-out — I Still Always Love You Sweetheart.

Pittsburgh loved it back.

“During the ’40s, ’50s and ’60,” according to The Pittsburgh Press, “It was not uncommon on Saturday and Sunday evenings for hundreds of parents with anxious youngsters in tow from throughout the Tri-State area to queue up at Isaly’s 40-yard-long front counter.

The visitors would park their cars in Isaly’s huge lot and scurry inside to wait patiently for up to 30 clerks — many of whom were working their way through college — to scoop up their favorite delicacies.”

When the Oakland location was shutting down, one loyal visitor shook his head in disbelief: “I don’t understand it. I’ve been coming in here for over 40 years. My father brought me here for ice cream when I was about 5 years old.”

Isaly’s purists saw it coming. The demise started in the 1970s, they say, when Isaly’s stopped making its famous dairy products at its Oakland headquarters. It really started going down when the ownership changed and new management sold the Boulevard of the Allies property to Presbyterian-University for $3.3 million.

The Making of an Ice Cream Cone was an undertaking which required skill and precision, it was a challenge to “create a perfectly symmetrical, tall, creamy cylinder that could be slipped into the cone — without tipping over.” It had to be scooped out “just right.”

A key to success was the unusually shaped scoop with Isaly’s label on the handle. For a long time, legend had it that after the family sold the stores, they buried the original scoops behind the Boulevard of the Allies headquarters in fear that they will be stolen. So, the grandfather of the family and his close colleagues buried them, allegedly at the spot that has been serving as a parking lot. That legend is impossible to check on — there is a parking lot at the location indeed. What’s underneath? Who knows…

One of the Isalys standing outside with the legendary ice cream scoop.

Mila digs "The Digs" and digs when others are digging it, too. She brought "The Digs" its international fame that one time when a Russian newspaper wrote about it bit.ly/RusDigs.

1. Tom
    3/16/2016

Hey, how about a shout out to BARD’S DAIRYLAND, which was a competitor to Isaly’s and offered much the same fare. Worked there in high school on the one near Perry and Charles on the North Side. Their famous thing was the WALKAWAY SUNDAE…..a miniature sundae served in a V-shaped cup. I think they may have been owned by Country Belle Dairy.

• Tom
      3/18/2016

I worked at both…Isaly’s in Brentwood & Bard’s in Carrick

• Spiker
        3/20/2016

You have that backwards Tom. Bards was in Brentwood and Isalys was in Carrick.

• Tom
          3/21/2016

Then they both must h ave been in Carrick, because the Bard’s that I worked at was just up Brownsville Rd from St. Basils, The Isalys was further out Brownsville. I never was clear where Carrick ended and Brentwood began :)

2. Joanne Karaczun
    3/16/2016

I am 75 years old and have lived in Pittsburgh all my life. My mom had a recipe (now I make it) for Bar-B-Que sauce like Isaly’s. She worked in Kelly’s Bar-B-Que which was where the Fort Pitt Tunnels are now. First sign of Spring … I make a gallon of sauce!! I’ve bought, eaten and served a LOT of Isaly’s ham over the years and I NEVER called it “chipped chopped ham”!!!! It was always just “chipped ham” or “Isaly’s chipped”!! Just sayin’.

• Barbara Parsons
      8/30/2016

You are so right. Chipped ham it was! And I went to the one on Braddock Avenue in Braddock. Loved the counter. Loved the whole place.

3. John Seaburn
    3/16/2016

My Dad drove Mom, my brothers and me to that iconic Isaly’s store from Beaver Falls occasionally in the summer months of the 1940s-1950s, making one of the greatest memories of my youth. Thanks for the memories !!!

4. Jim Barufaldi
    3/16/2016

As a kid, I loved Islay’s rainbow ice cream. Great memories.

• Wendy
      3/17/2016

Me too! One day I was so anxious for that cone that when I took a lick, all of the ice cream came off of the cone and fell to the ground! Going to the big Isaly’s in Oakland was a treat. Oh those wonderful memories!

5. Nancy Ballog Wall
    3/16/2016

Dahnstreet Homestead was alive with neon & 2 Islay’s stores. Cantaloupe skyscrapers with my Dad. Watching them make Klondike’s. Precious memories.

6. Jim Palmieri
    3/16/2016

My Father worked for over 35 years @ Main Isaly’s on the Boulevard as did my sister, brother and brother in law. (part time). I grew up on EVERY Isaly’s product. We lived in Oakland and later thru Schenley Park in Greenfield. I remember their yearly summer picnics @ White Swan Park. I remember spending a lot of time playing @ their playground @ the end of their parking lot. I remember the car wash accross the street with the neon moving cars, replaced by a Hojo’s and now some hotel. Great Family company (unlike Today) that gave me many, many Great Memories and I could go on and on………

• Tony Mann
      8/30/2016

I worked with both of them in the late 60’s.

• Frank Cmar
        8/30/2016

HI Tony…I remember you nad a lot of the folks who worked there in the 1960’s….It was a great time with great poeple, and a friendly family atmosphere to go to for an occasional treat, and my first real job as a teenager. Thanks to you, and to all of you, for your friendship. Thanks to the managers who have passed on now, as well, like Mr. Art Weyman, who hired me, Mr. Tony Zamule, and Mac Macgonigle.

Regis Francis (Frank) Cmar

• Dave Rotthoff
          12/29/2016

That should read WALTER Weyman. Worked for him for five years when I was in college from 1958 to 1963. As we both lived in Wilkinsburg, he saved me a trolley ride many a night over those five years.

7. Don
    3/16/2016

My memories are more from the North Versailles and Irwin locations. I’m 69, and with my own home slicer, some good ham, and my own version of this sauce, I make lots of friends happy. Just grab a Wonder bun, and fill it up. Sloppy fun in NJ!

8. Diane miller
    3/16/2016

My dad would always take us there before we went to my Grandmas who lived on Robinson St .This is a standing joke with my children I guess I told the story to many times. Truly there will never be another Islays as many ice cream stores that have opened can even begin to compete with Islays

9. Lee Hough
    3/16/2016

2 Isaly’s in Homestead – lunch there often, klondikes and skyscraper cones!! Rainbow, chocolate chip, whitehouse, black raspberry or lime sherbert – oh the difficulty of that decision!!!

One of my earliest memories was on a Saturday night, with family and friends, coming from West Homestead, in the backseat of a big convertible, driving through Schenley Park. The Nirvana of the lit up huge Islays on the Blvd of the Allies…..it was a treat that happened a few times each summer.

10. Marion Krupa Edwards
    3/17/2016

Bill Eisley and his wife live near Clearwater Florida now and are a member of my country club, countryside country club.

• J.O.
      3/17/2016

That’s nice. Bill Gaites lives next door me and sometimes we play miniature golf.

11. Robert Karikas
    3/17/2016

There were also (2) Isaly’s on McKeesports mile long downtown 5th Ave. for decades. The ham bbq’s in that unique sauce will be duplicated. Their ice cream treats were second to none.

12. Robert Karikas
    3/17/2016

There were also (2) Isaly’s on McKeesports mile long downtown 5th Ave. for decades. The ham bbq’s in that unique sauce will never be duplicated. Their ice cream treats were second to none.

13. Karen Weiss Eriksson
    3/17/2016

I have so many wonderful memories of working at the Isaly’s in South Hills Village back in the late 60s early 70s. My father worked at the one in Carrick back in his day. Oh by the way, I still have his sky scraper scoop with Isaly’s on the handle he took when he left there and was drafted in WWII

14. Tom
    3/17/2016

Remember those deviled crabs in a foil base with less than a shred of crab in each, delicious.

15. zl
    3/17/2016

Another excellent story Mila! Thank you and PG for keeping the history of Pittsburgh alive.

16. diane SAXTON
    3/17/2016

How many Isaly’s were there in all in say, 1960?

• Ken Barker
      3/20/2016

Isaly’s local stores were grouped by size: AAA, AA, A and as I remember it from the mid – 60’s, there were over 30 throughout the area. They also had franchises hundred of miles away.

17. Coleen Humberson
    3/17/2016

We had an Islay’s in Swissvale on the corner of Noble and Dickson St. I remember going after dancing to get a skyscraper, my favorite was Whitehouse. I also loved their pickles in the big jars on the counter 25 cents. Oh the great memories of the 50’s 60’s. And oh by the way we were lucky enough in Swissvale to have a Bards Dairyland at the othe end of noble St. The Walk Away Sundee was the bomb.

• zl
      3/17/2016

Was this a nod to the The Left Banke’s one hit wonder “Walk Away Renee”?

If so that’s so odd, really odd. Ha!

18. Barbara
    3/17/2016

Great memories of Isaly’s on Evans Avenue in McKeesport. Besides the cone and chipped ham, I recall getting very good ham salad there as well.

• Robert Karikas
      3/17/2016

I forgot all about that location !

19. Rosanne
    3/17/2016

Lived in Clairton, had a great Isalys there, as well as one in Southland shopping center, where I worked in 1960-61

20. Sue (Stawowy) Chronister
    3/17/2016

I was fortunate to have grown up on the street next to “Big Isaly’s”, Niagara Street, off the Boulevard of the Allies. Have very fond memories of sitting on Isaly’s wall, eating skyscraper ice cream cones. Our dad (Bozo, who would have turned 90 yesterday) used to buy our family of four, sundaes, and carry them home in his arms. He never got lids because “you wouldn’t get as much whipped cream that way.” It was a very sad day when Isaly’s closed, but I will always have the memories.

• Paul Bojarski
      8/29/2016

Lived on Bates Street just down the hill from Isalys early memories of Isalys park play ground and later of taking orders from my neighbors and running up to get ice cream for all. Also fondly remember Bozo the fire truck Santa Claus, and later taking bowling trips with him and others from St Mike’s hall!

21. Frank
    3/17/2016

I worked at the location in Turtle Creek from 82-85. A big chunk of the company was sold I think in 1984 but I think the Turtle Creek location is still operating. I remember the tons of cod fish sold on Friday’s and the endless pies sold during the holiday’s. Had a great time working there.

22. R. F.
    3/17/2016

While the special scoop was the key to getting the shape of the skyscraper cone, it was the good quality of Isaly’s ice cream that brought people back. Delicious! The closest in quality in Pgh today is probably Dave and Andy’s in Oakland.

23. Gary Findlay
    3/17/2016

I do believe there were 3 on Brownsville Rd , including the one my brother and I worked at in the late 60s early 70s

24. Marilyn
    3/17/2016

Sure would like to know more about the ham BBQ! Was the ham sliced or really chipped? Have had a ham BBQ at Woolrich outlet in PA that was awesome would like to make yours. Very interesting article, Thanks Marilyn Syracuse, NY

25. Chris
    3/17/2016

Isalys in Irwin then at the Norwin Shopping Center were my memories. Pistachio or Toasted Almond Fudge was a tough decision. I also remember getting a glazed donut for 6 cents.

26. Beverly
    3/17/2016

I remember Isaly’s in Lower Burrell Shopping Center. We would all meet up there on Saturdays.

27. Alice Slagle
    3/18/2016

I used to walk to Isaly’s in Bellvue for a skyscraper ice cream cone. When I was growing up and as an adult, we bought Isaly’s Chipped Ham. “Chipped Ham”. Somewhere along the way, started to add ” chopped”… But not in my neck of the woods, the Brighton Heights area of the Northside.

28. Janet
    3/18/2016

Aside from the fabulous ice cream. Does anyone remember the Shamrock brand potato chips???

29. Carole Myers Carlson
    3/18/2016

I remember going to the one in the Miracle Mile Shopping Center in Monroeville. I can still remember the smell and the green and yellowish tile floor at the entrance.

• Tammy Flanagan
      3/19/2016

Me too! My grandmother or my uncle would bring me there for ice cream or sometimes we would have lunch. My mother and I would go for the Friday fish fry! Happy memories of Isaly’s at the Miracle Mile Shopping Center (along with Kresgees and Woolworth’s 5 & 10 stores and Loreski’s Hobby Shop)!

• Mark Hunsinger
        5/21/2016

I remember going to that store for fish, ham bbq, Klondike’s and Mac and Cheese. Loreski’s was awesome too! The Flea Market on Sunday’s was big too.

30. Todd
    3/18/2016

Back in the early 70’s, I remember my grandfather going to the Isaly’s in Lawrenceville, and he would bring back home a half gallon of Whitehouse ice cream. I would always complain about it because I hated the cherries in it, and he would always tell me to stop complaining and just don’t eat the cherries. That’s exactly what I did, though I wonder why he never compromised with me…

31. deborah rabadi
    3/18/2016

my favorite ice cream flavor was called Maricopa. it was like a carmel ripple. but calling it maricopa made it taste even better.

32. Brad
    3/18/2016

I have a Skyscraper Scoop hanging on my kitchen wall. We used to go to Squirrel Hill all the time, and Oakland once in awhile.

33. Sue Hough
    3/18/2016

I was always so happy when I got $.10 so I could go to Isaly’s to get a cone. For awhile we lived in Mckeesport and could walk to the one on Evans Ave. Then we moved to Penns Woods in Irwin and there was one in the Norwin Shopping Center. Also would stop at the one in White Oak on Lincoln Way. How I loved that store growing up in the 50’s and 60’s.

34. Lee Dixon
    3/18/2016

I remember going to the one in Bridgeville at Great Southern shopping center when I was little. So excited to get a crispy Klondike!

• Tom
      3/19/2016

Read my post. I also went to bridgeville.

35. Barbara Chilzer
    3/18/2016

In the Mon Valley , we had the Charleroi Isaly’s. Saturday shopping trips always ended at Isaly’s and a Rainbow cone . Yum! I can taste it even now. Sweet memory !

36. Dorothy
    3/19/2016

What a beautiful trip to the past! Was there an Isaly’s on Braddock Avenue in Braddock? I attended Sacred Heart School in the 1950s and would go out for lunch because I “commuted” to school from Forest Hills. I think it was Isaly’s that I went to.

37. Tom
    3/19/2016

Great Southern shopping center Bridgeville. 1 scoop 10cents. skyscraper 15 cents. Cherry soda(cherry flavor pop in big fluted glass with a load of vanilla ice cream and whipped cream and cherry on top) 25 cents. I loved to go with grandma shopping and we always would go to Isalys. I Shall Always Love You. A pittsburgh icon would sit there sometime . He was a blind man who would have preaching on a big radio. Sign said his eyes got shot out in a mine. He had a jar for money. God rest his soul Thank you for the memories. Isalys alway had SWISS MAID brand chocolates.

38. Mel
    3/19/2016

No mention of local historian Brian Butko’s great book “Klondikes, Chipped Ham, & Skyscraper Cones: The Story of Isaly’s”? An excellent read on how the chain was founded, its spread through Ohio and Western PA, and eventual (almost) demise.

39. Colleen Cahill
    3/19/2016

We had one at the Monroeville miracle mile shopping center. It competed with a Baskin and Robin and both stayed in business for a long time. They had the best hot fudge Sundays and chocolate chip ice cream.

40. Jack Koehler
    3/19/2016

When I was little I lived in Shaler Twp. It was a treat to go to Isaly’s In Etna. Later I worked at Bards on Mt Royal Blvd. I now live in Rainbow Springs, Florida and I still love Klondikes.

41. Kelly
    3/20/2016

For many lunches, I walked from Lincoln Elementary School in Mt. Lebanon to the Isaly’s on Beverly Road. It was a weekly tradition with one of my best friends. What wonderful memories!

42. pat garrison
    3/20/2016

ialays in Bellevue was always packed..i always stopped after school for a coke in a paper cup…sat inside with all my friends b-s ing for about an hour.

43. Regis Francis (Frank) Cmar
    3/21/2016

I worked there at the Blvd. of the Allies Oakland store in the late 60’s, when they started to transition from Skyscraper cones to regular ice cream scoops to save money, in part because of how generous we could be as employees. A lot of times, if we knew the customer, we’d scoop an extra large skyscraper cone for him or her. For one jolly older guy, who we used to call the “Maricopa Kid”, once we must have scooped most of a quart of his favorite Maricopa/butterscotch ice cream onto the cone. One other time, a college guy from, say, Pitt wanted to have a little bit of every flavor in his “hand-packed” take home container (remember hand-packed quarts and pints? ). He didn’t like how we were doing it, so we challenged him to come over to our side and do it himself. He did, but we were chewed out for that one. Another great memory was you could see famous people come in, sometimes with their families/kids. I waited on Mr. Rogers, Vernon Law, and Willie Stargell myself. This was a “hometown Pittsburgh”, and American, icon, and is sorely missed. The Toasted Almond Fudge ice cream flavor was unique, and some customers would be greatly disappointed and even get angry when we ran out of butter pecan or peach ice cream — they were great flavors, too. But they could always go across the street, where they had 28 flavors (Howard Johnsons), and they never were as crowded as we were.

44. Gary Baer
    3/21/2016

I first visited Isaly’s location in Squirrel Hill at the corner of Murray Ave and Forbes St. holding my father’s hand. His love of the place influenced me and my love of ice cream cones & chipped ham was born. How wonderful it was to get in the car with my sister on a warm summer’s evening with my Mom in the passenger seat while the “boss” drove over to the Blvd. of The Allies store. In my memory it is a white marbled shrine, maybe with columns, and the sound of dishes, meat cutters, orders being given, and the army of ice cream slingers. Great memories.

45. pat garrison
    3/22/2016

my dad moved to Bellevue to be the mgr. of isaly’s in 1940..

46. J Ramsey
    3/23/2016

My Dad worked for Isalys for 42 years (1938-1980) at 10 different stores and finished at the closing of the Charleroi store. I helped out there and also the Monongahela and Monessen stores back in the late 60’s. All 3 towns had movie theaters and it got crazy every weekend after the show let out.Made 1000’s of cones and hated making banana splits because it took too long.The milkshakes where made with ice milk and not vanilla ice cream.Mixing the klondikes up because the free Pink Slips were in the same spot on every level in the can. The Family Picnics at South Park were the best.Eat all day, win game prizes and find silver dollars in the giant sandpile. And then there was the day at Heinz History Center(7/14/2001) for all the old Isaly employees.No one wanted to leave till the doors closed. Took lots of pictures and listened to a hundred memories. Dad was the 2nd oldest manager there and knew a lot of people including H William Isaly. It was funny when Dad had a disagreement with author Brian Butko about Grape Klondikes.Does anyone ever remember a Grape Klondike ? Dad said never in 42 years !

• R. Daniel
      5/19/2016

Your father gave my client his first job. He hired him right on the spot. He was just telling me about Isalys bc we don’t have it in the south and I came across your post just as he told me his manager’s name. I think he said it was in Donora, Pa. in 1945. He started to work on the same day. Great memory he has of your father. He was very nice and knowledgeable of Isalys and taught him a lot and was very patient while he learned how to make the trademark Isalys Cone. Just thought it was a great memory to share.

47. B. Maloney
    3/23/2016

My grandmother lived on parkview ave off the Blvd of the allies. We would walk to the big Isaly’s whenever we visited. My favorite flavor was maricopa. Now, 40 some years later, I live in maricopa county, Arizona. A story I like fellow pittsburghers.

• Wendy
      3/24/2016

That was my second favorite, after Rainbow.

48. Doree McCarthy
    3/23/2016

In the late 40’s and early 50’s, my father, a projectionist at the Sewickley Theatre, would take us with him. Isaly’s was across the street from the theatre and he would always take us to Isaly’s and buy us a Klondike or cone of our choosing. I also visited the Bellevue Isaly’s as a friend of mine worked there. Thank you for taking me down memory lane.

49. Cindy
    3/26/2016

Hi!

Live in Greentree, but I spent my first two years of my life in Crafton. There was a Bards there near the Crafton Theatre. Since I remember, it was there for quite a while. I remember their chipped ham as a better quality than Isalys, and tasted better. I never ate Isalys, and still don’t. It has too much gristle. Love the Isalys ice cream and cones. though!

50. Barb Shivetts Kerr
    4/27/2016

I went to high school in Homestead, PA and also worked after school. We had two Isaly’s on 8th Avenue. I remember my mother taking my brother and me there after church at St. Mary’s for a cone. During high school my friends and I would walk from 18th Street down to 8th Avenue to get a cone or a Klondike before getting on the but to go home or running across the street to go to work.

51. martha cain
    5/6/2016

Take me home, Ja moka Almond fudge, lime sherbet, rainbow, ham barbecue, lemon blend, thumb print and pfffernuse , cookies, creme horns…

52. Bill
    5/14/2016

There was definitely a Bard’s on Brownsville Road in Carrick near St. Basil’s where I went to Church and grade school.

• Joanne Bench Pantanella Crumling
      8/31/2016

I went to St. Basil’s too. We used to call Bard’s “Bardsies”. The Isaly’s was further out Brownsville Road towards Brentwood, as I recall. Dad used to bring skyscraper cones wrapped in waxed paper for my 5 sibs and me. My favorite flavor a were toasted almond fudge and rainbow. I wonder how they made the rainbow. It wasn’t sherbet and I don’t think it was just vanilla ice cream with color added. Anyone have any idea how they made it? I’m trying to remember if Anthony’s Pizza is where Bard’s used to be. So many good memories of growing up in Carrick!

53. Mary
    5/16/2016

Maricopa was also my favorite – can’t believe so many comments mentioned it! When I was somewhere 6-8 years old, my mother parked me at a table in the Homestead store closest to Amity street with an ice cream cone while she ran down to Amos market in the next block. Must have eaten it really fast because I was finished and thought I was abandoned and in tears by he time she got back! Couldn’t and wouldn’t do that these days!

54. Dwight Swauger
    6/5/2016

My grand mother loved shopping at Troutmans in Greensburg and I was her companion on Saturday morning, Isaly;s was just down the street from Troutmans and I always was excited to go there for ham bbq and an ice cream cone. That was in the mid 50’s and I just made ham bbq today( without the right ham as I live in New Hampshire today). Thanks Isaly’s for all the fond memories.

55. Rick Ennis
    6/16/2016

There was an Isalys, next to Sun Drugs, in the Donaldson Crossroads shopping center in Peters Township. I remember my mother would occasionally buy a six pack of Klondikes, which was a perfect desert for my dad, mom, two brothers, sister, and me. The fun was in that Islays would put a coupon for one free Klondike in one of the six. Whoever got the coupon in their Klondike would get to go to Isalys with mom on her next trip to get their free extra treat. I also remember the night my sister, who worked there, cut her finger on the slicer, chipping ham. Those were the days.

56. Mary Anne Connolly
    8/30/2016

M Connolly
    8/9 16
    We used to frequent the Isalys in Wilmerding, especially for chipped ham, but the most fun was on Sundays when our uncle would load my sister, cousins and me, and “go for a ride” to the Big Isalys on the Blvd of the Allies
    for ice cream or root beer floats. As an extra treat, sometimes we’d get to ride through the Liberty Tubes and we’d have a contest to see who could hold their breath the longest. I can still see it so clearly in my mind.

• Wendy
      8/31/2016

Does anyone remember how long they stayed open on Sunday nights? I remember going there on Sunday evenings and sometimes it would be dark. This was during the late 50’s.

57. Karen Lang
    8/30/2016

Since my grandparents lived close by, we went every Sunday for many many years
    MY mother LOVE the pimento spread
    I loved a skyscraper..
    Sadly missed

58. Frank Perisino
    9/8/2016

I am 72 and worked at Isaly,s in Carnegie for three years during high school. After three years in the Army I worked there again as I attended Robert Morris College in Downtown on the G I bill. I loved those days and got to know just about everybody in town as they all came to Isaly,s. My lunch break usually consisted of a very large hot fudge Sunday, and a chocolate milk shake. Great memories. Thank you Isaly,s.

59. Nancy Smith
    10/8/2016

WalMart deli section sells chopped ham by Isaly’s which is marked “chopped ham for chipping”. I was really disappointed when I brought several pounds of it home with me. I have been buying cooked ham at the grocery store deli which is 99% fat free and having it chipped, and either eating it in a sandwich or as a ham BBQ. The fat in the Isaly’s ham was just too much!

60. Lou D.
    10/30/2016

I’m suprized no one said the Isaly’s in Dormont. I think the store front is still there with the tile entry, but another type store.

• Sam Loveall
      12/29/2016

Lou, can you tell me where that Dormont store was?

• Lou
        12/29/2016

About two doors up from Potomac ave. I think the tile entrance is still there, I haven’t been over that way for a while.

61. Walter Garris
    12/13/2016

I started to enjoy Isaly’s around 1936 at their store in Zelienople, PA where I would get a milkshake for 10 cents that was so thick you could stand a spoon in it. Their Whitehouse ice cream was my favorite. In 1941 several of my high school classmates worked at that store to my advantage as they seemed to know which Klondike bars had the pink centers (strawberry). A pink center got you a free Klondike bar. I most often got one with a pink center.

62. Walter Garris
    12/13/2016

Walter Garris

12/13/2016
    Reply .

63. Rick not from Turtle Crick
    12/31/2016

Egad. Where to start? Someone messed up, I reckon. I mean, how else would you explain selling such an extremely successful family business? I went to high school at McKee Place School for a while, 80, 81, (It’s the old church on McKee Place, it’s still there on Google Earth, but I think they put a different school in there) and one of the regular places to go was Isaly’s for chipped ham sandwiches. I live in Virginia now, they don’t even know what chipped ham is here. When I was a kid, we’d go to visit my Grandma in Monessen, and we always stopped at Isaly’s for ice cream on the way home. Coffee was the best flavor. Baskin’s & Robin’s ain’t got nuthin on Isaly’s.

64. Kerry
    2/25/2017

I remember going to Isaly’s with my mother and sister in Greensburg, Pa. I am 78 now and live in Mich.