Pittsburgh Then and Now
Duncan Park, Lawrenceville

Grab and drag the green handle on the image above

The 1951 opening of Duncan Park at 54th and Duncan Streets in Lawrenceville was documented by legendary Pittsburgh photographer Clyde Hare. The "parklet" was one of four parks to receive a large tree (at Duncan, it was a pin oak that is now gone) to help "shade the city," according to an April 15, 1951, Pittsburgh Press article. More than 600 trees were slated to be planted throughout the city that year as part of a new tree-planting program, the first such initiative since the Great Depression. The program was made possible by a grant from the Sara Mellon Scaife Foundation.

Learn more about Clyde Hare and this picture at the PG photographic archive blog, "The Digs."

(1951 photo by Clyde Hare/From the Post-Gazette archive; contemporary photo by Rebecca Droke/Post-Gazette)