March 10, 1951: The Wabash Building was born April 13, 1904 as the George J. Gould’s Palace Depot. It was reputedly the most beautiful railroad building west of New York. Built at the intersection of Liberty Ave and Ferry St, currently known as Stanwix St, the building served as a station of the Wabash Pittsburgh Terminal Railway and serviced passenger traffic until October 1931. It was used as office space until its demolition in 1954 to make room for the new Gateway Center. The building caught fire twice in 1946.
(Pittsburgh Press photo)