1. Linda
    6/26/2018

I would love to see pictures of The Casbah. I sang there in the 70s. If you have photos of the Casbah, The Leather Shop etc. please share.

• Bob Bernstein
      7/15/2019

My wife and I met at the Casbah in January 1973 when Bill and Dave were singing and Herb was tending bar. My motorcycle (gang? group? club?) and I used to hang out there almost every night, often followed by coffee at the Gazebo. We just celebrated our 45th anniversary and have talked about those days a lot recently. There was no place like it. Great memories.

2. James W. McNeil
    9/5/2018

The whole era of the late 50’s 60’s and 70’s is on display at Cappy’s on Walnut street. 50 years of Shadyside history worth looking at. Relive the past at Cappy’s. Only chance you will ever have to see that much history on Shadyside in one place.

3. Shawn Margaret Cohen
    9/6/2018

I waitressed and bartended in the Encore, starting in 1976 and also in Taylors, The Casbah and the Balcony and was out and about eating and drinking in the Gaslight, The Rasberry Rhino (dancing!) and shopping in some of the great clothing stores on Walnut and the side streets. I have worked back in Shadyside a couple years ago at Journeys of Life on Bellefonte and had a great gathering of my best girlfriends who I grew up with in Pgh, at the place that was the Encore and is now a Mexican restaurant on 3 floors, The Steel Cactus, in 2015 and it was all fabulous! I have lived in London, UK since 1985 but my heart is in the heady days of the hippies of my high school years with my best girlfriends and my boyfriend wearing bell bottom jeans which we embroidered down the sides, earth shoes and love beads, hitch hiking to Shadyside to pan handle money and flash the peace sign as much as possible! Then at the age of 20 working at the Encore. It was the best of times, perhaps sometimes the worst of times but we all learned a lot, had lots of fun and to it is a testimony to Shadyside, that it is still the best little village I know and I have been around the world! Peace, Love, Freedom and Shadyside Forever!

4. Shawn Margaret Cohen
    9/6/2018

I also put a plaque in the manager of the Encore in Shadyside on Walnut Street for over 20 years, Art Swiden. If you look at the little parklet there you will find it, it says, “Art Swiden, Champ 4 Ever!” Art was such a huge part of Shadyside, an ex heavyweight boxer who was such a great character. I wrote a blog about my time with him called, “The Pittsburgh Phantom and Me” on Blogspot.com so check it out, all happening in 1976 and up.
    I loved growing up near Shadyside and every weekend we would go hang out there. My first job with stuffing envelopes with my best friend as her mother was the secretary of the Gaslight, at age 16. I will always feel that Shadyside is my home.

5. Michael Buzzelli
    9/7/2018

I don’t go that far back, but I used to love the balcony. Also, since the writer is comparing Shadyside to Greenwich Village, I’m sad that the Tender Trap was left out of the article. It was closed by the time I was 21.

6. Madolyn Hyde
    7/13/2019

I lived in Shadyside during those wonderful years! Sipping for great fashions, eating bagels and Liz on Sundays at the Gazebo reading the BUT with friends! Evenings at Loaves and Fishes! What wonderful memories, fun times, friends for life. My first apartment on S. Allen was $143.00 per month, both 1st and 2nd were in old mansions. It was safe to walk from there to East Liberty at any hour. The K9 dogs knew every place they would get a treat. Small stores each having something different. I still have my purse from the leather shop and carry it still. Times will never be created like that again!

• Anthony R. Zacchero
      7/16/2019

A Shadyside apartment for $143/month!!!! You’re really showin your age.
      There are some beautiful apts out there too. I recall this one apt house right on Walnut just past the business district. I can imagine what they go for now.

7. Greg Short
    7/13/2019

Kathy in the striped dress.

8. David
    7/14/2019

What about the legendary Mardi Gras Bar just off Walnut Street???

• Maria
      7/19/2019

I think it’s still there. My parents used to go there in the 50s.

9. Sharon Davis Green
    7/14/2019

Remember the original Music Emporium?

10. Milt Markowitz
    7/15/2019

What was the name of the bar/ restaurant that was located in alley. You had to walk up steps and had to know someone to enter. It opened late and had great food. Lots of famous people could be seen there

11. Deb Tanzer Poel
    7/15/2019

The Hollywood Social Club.

12. Patrice
    7/20/2019

I work at schillers’pharmacy at the corner of walnut and south Aiken that has been there since 1903. It was just recently sold and now being remodeled. Must come and see.

13. Richard Norwood
    7/21/2019

I moved into brand new APT building at 625 Copeland about 1970. Had great 3rd floor story and a half unit. Some say it was built in 1980 but this is wrong. Likely remodeled that year. Copeland was only residential at the time. Went the Casbah around the corner often to see folk singers (David and Anthony ?) and bartender (Eddie). Sunday brunch and newspaper at Gazebo. Went to Encore often to see Harold Betters and to enjoy the Special Sirlion Steak Dinner offered upstairs every week night. Full dinner with large martini was about $6. Large Pizza joint at end of street played silent movies with the Pizzza, Marti Gras was place to go on Saturday after Pitt game.

14. Katrina
    8/18/2019

I’m searching for a photo of the Razzberry Rhino’s logo.

15. bob n shannon
    8/24/2019

looking for pics of the encore on walnut street