1. Mike
    7/8/2015

Great stuff! Rampaging animals on the Southside are nothing new, I guess — except now they have two legs instead of four …

2. lzz
    7/8/2015

I love this column big time. Thank you PG for keeping the histroy of our beloved city alive. But this story is rather sad. And depressing. Poor animals.. :(

3. Paul
    7/8/2015

The owner of Fine Packing also regularly parked a truck loaded with noisy cattle in the driveway of his home. Neighbors lodged the same complaints as you described the neighbors near his business reported. With much the same response.

4. […] Stories from a Jane Street slaughterhouse A Post-Gazette photographer snapped a picture of the capture. (Click the image to see a larger version). After startling bystanders and causing a few automobile accidents, the bull was cornered in front of South Side Hospital. Soon, the animal was on … Read more on Pittsburgh Post-Gazette […]

5. arc
    7/8/2015

I remember this place from when we visited my aunt and uncle who lived across the street. We knew of a hollowed out knot in a wooden fence in the back of the property where, if you were brave enough, you could catch a peek at the animals being slaughtered.

6. JLU
    7/8/2015

That is my grandmother & grandfather – they lived next door to the slaughterhouse. My grandfather is in the photograph standing in the doorway of their house and also sitting at the table, looking frustrated, during the board meeting. Thank you for digging through the archives and putting stories like this in The Digs. I love seeing photos of them!

7. Denise (Hurka) Lambert
    7/9/2015

My mom is in the one pic, and that’s my dad catching the bull !!!

8. Wendy
    7/15/2015

I must have been 5 months old at the time, but never remember my mom mentioning this when I got older. I guess she was too busy taking care of me and my dad. Great story.

9. John Croup
    4/6/2016

Wonder how those late to early fifties car appeared in 1949?

10. 10/14/2016

I love it whenever people get together and share opinions. Great blog, stick with it!