1. Jerry Beer
    10/9/2017

I loved the Pipers and Connie Hawkins as they became Champions in 67. I was there for the championship game and many other games when there were just a few hundred.
    I remember the great Connie as well as Art Heyman, Charlie Williams and Chico Vaughn.
    They were a great team. I was a 15 year old kid and a true fan. a short but happy time.

2. Scott
    10/10/2017

That’s 16 championships between the Steelers, Pirates and Penguins. Including the Pipers’ championship, which I always do, it’s 17 total.

3. Richard Mondak
    10/10/2017

Since 1960 (Yea, Maz!), no other professional sports team has won their league championship in Pittsburgh except for our Pipers.

4. John Smith
    10/10/2017

Good Article. However the Penguins have won 5 Stanley Cups.

5. GARY
    10/10/2017

With the sad passing of The Hawk, this article brought back lots of great memories. Went to many games in 1968 as a 16 year old. Loved all of them, Chico Vaughn and his 3 pointers, the red, white an blue ball, all the great efforts. Usually my buddy and I were about the only ones there (or so it seemed). Totally lost interest when they came back minus The Hawk. He was the most exciting player of his day bar none.

6. Dano
    10/10/2017

I went to a game in 71. All I remember was Pittsburgh Condor John Brisker getting in a fight. Then getting kicked out of the game.

7. Bill
    10/10/2017

I was at the championship game. It was close to a sell out and the crowd was loud. A little known fact was the game tip off time was delayed so all the fans could get in as there were not enough users to handle the unexpecrpted size of the fans.

Connie Hawkins was the best B ball player to play in the arena ,till the 76ers played a few games a few years later withChamberlin, Bill Cunningham, and Hal Greer. The sixes played the Hawks withPete Maravich.

The Condors were terrible, went to a number of games. At halftime the ushers and players let us shoot around with them

8. James S.
    10/11/2017

Wow, the PG sports writers make back then make Ron Cook look like Mr. Rogers. Can’t believe how incredibly jaded and mean-spirited they were.

9. Robert Barclay Weisner
    10/11/2017

I first remember Connie Hawkins playing for the Pittsburgh Rens of the A.B.L. in 1961. He was a dominant player then but there was very little press coverage and not much history because the league failed after less than two seasons. The “Hawk” was still the best player in the A.B.A. seven years later when he led the Pipers to the league title. I remember the late Joe Tucker broadcasting Piper games on radio that season. Connie Hawkins should always be in the discussion when it comes to Pittsburgh’s sports legends.

10. Jim M
    10/11/2017

Great article! I left Pittsburgh decades ago but still look back on my hometown fondly.

However, it does omit the great Negro League championships in Pittsburgh! The Homestead Grays… Pittsburgh Crawfords…

And the great players! Josh Gibson, Satchel Paige.

11. Melvin Williams
    10/12/2017

I remember Connie coming to the McKeesport Boys’ Club. Lifting me up so I could dunk the basketball. I believe the was 1968 or 69. My brothers grew up with Freddie Lewis another all star.

12. Melvin Williams
    10/12/2017

Satchel Paige is my cousin.

13. Mike roberts
    11/1/2017

Didn’t Pgh have a world team tennis team backmthen that did pretty well?

14. Terrance Coleman
    11/3/2017

Stewart Johnson is my cousin Terrance Coleman

15. Greg s.
    11/13/2017

Pittsburgh Triangles won 1975 WTT title. 18 champs, 19 if we count 1976 Pitt panthers.