1. Frank Cmar
    12/12/2018

Actually there is a MIchael (Mickey) Chervenak of the right age, born 1947, in the archived Post Gazette obituaries in 2008…This may be the same person…This particular Mickey Chervenak stayed in Pittsburgh, raised a family, was a Vietnam veteran, and retired as a Pittsburgh firefighter before his death in 2008….Perhaps worth investigating

• Servantoftruth
      12/27/2018

If that’s him, he lived a noble, useful life.

• MB
      12/27/2018

I imagine she most certainly would have moved back to her home town under her maiden name and raised the kids that way. Why keep the last name of a dead abusive man? I wouldn’t even want to find them. Let the now grown man have his peace, he earned it. Sounds like someone who never even should have had charges brought against him exceptnttyat he was probably poor and unable to afford a real lawyer. Good for the kid 61 years ago.

• Robert Bosnyak
      1/4/2019

Im his son. He didnt stay in Pittsburgh.

2. Sean Hamill
    12/12/2018

We’ve talked to the family. That is the wrong Mickey Chervenak.

• Servantoftruth
      12/27/2018

So, they really did most likely move out of state? 1947 birth year was a coincidence? Have to admit, it does sound like a heroic life he would live.

• Jerome P Bauer
      12/27/2018

The Chervanaks lived next door to us. I was 13 or 14 at the time of this shooting. As I remember both Mike and Shirley were army veterans. She was a messy housekeeper and he yelled all the time. I thought that Mickey applied to the Navy, but have no solid confirmation of that. My mother Kay in in one of the pictures.
      Jerry Bauer

• April
        12/28/2018

I was trying to find out what the sisters meant by:
        A few days earlier at Mr. Chervenak’s funeral, one of the two sisters also screamed: “My brother… my brother… if she [Shirley Chervenak] had given him a home, he wouldn’t be here. She killed him… She killed him,” according to an account in the Pittsburgh Sun-Telegraph.

I guess I was confused by “Given him a home” — well he had a home, but i guess they are saying, that since as Jerry, you pointed out she was a messy housekeeper, that that is what is meant by “giving him a home” — like this is the wife’s job and she failed to “give him a home” — I think I figured it out. Just wanted to check.

The other remarkable thing, well it’s a remarkable story. So beyond that? I was very curious about the clothing! This is late 40s — the kind of hats and even the fur “pelt” on one of Michael E. Cervanek, Jr.’s sisters – i mean that is what that is, yes? does it have a head on there? at the claspe? looks like it’s “biting its own tail” The thing is, I can’t be sure what I am seeing. And I wonder if they are rich – I guess it seems so, because we are in the era of fast, cheap fashion. And only rich people now have good tailored clothes. Even the way little Mickey was all dressed up. Just such another era.

3. Frank Cmar
    12/13/2018

Thanks………….

4. Jeffrey Luckinbill
    12/26/2018

perhaps you can do an ancestry or 123 dna search

5. P. Jacob
    12/26/2018

It would be very interesting to know what happened to the family, specifically Mickey I hope he had a good life, as I can relate to his plight, growing up in the early 60’s we, my mother and four sisters were were routinely beaten by my dad. You just didn’t call the cops back in those days, it wasn’t something they would take seriously.

6. Servantoftruth
    12/27/2018

“I just couldn’t stand him beating my mommy” When I was 5 and then when I was 14 I stepped in between my father and my mom so he couldn’t hit her anymore. I know EXACTLY what the boy felt. I loved my mom until the day she passed from this life. My dad is still here 9 years later and our relationship is a little better but she lived for her family. He lives to control his family.

7. Servantoftruth
    12/27/2018

Sometimes its a very good thing when sometimes dies, either by disease or other means. Some people live violent and anti-social lives. The words they speak and the things they do do not benefit anyone.

8. Sean Hamill
    12/27/2018

Yes, just a coincidence. A remarkable one. But a different Chervenak family.

9. Sean Hamill
    12/27/2018

Yes, just a coincidence. A remarkable one. But a different Chervenak family. Spoke to the family and a family friend and they are not the same Michael Chervenaks.

• Robert Bosnyak
      1/4/2019

Im his son. I know the whole truth and this is the Chervanaks. Nobody knows what it was like to live and be the youngest son to this man that was so very young when his life was turned around…..

10. Sean Hamill
    12/27/2018

11. Jerome P Bauer
    12/27/2018

Jerry Bauer

• Sean Hamill
      12/27/2018

Mr. Bauer –
      Could you give me a call? You can reach me at 412-263-2579.

• Robert Bosnyak
      1/4/2019

Mickey applied to the U.S. coast guard.

12. Kelley Cugini
    12/29/2018

Mr Bauer , I understand that Shirley was a messy housewife as well. From what I understand, my great uncle Mike was dating an Italian girl from East Pittsburgh. Then he went to WWII and met Shirley. I am kinda thinking that back in that day you had to marry for sex. I personally think that they just didn’t work out as a marriage after the war. I also sometimes wonder if my great uncle had shell shock. My grandfather worked with Mike at the steel mill in Braddock, and said he was a great worker. I am just upset with this article because there was no point to it, except sensationalism. I know if I was Mickey, I would change my name. If anything, I sure wish I could meet my long lost cousin

13. Kelley Cugini
    12/29/2018

Also, you don’t have to be rich to show some class when you are mourning…must laugh, when I saw that pic of my grandma and great aunt, I thought the same thing They look rich. So where is my 2 million inheritance…