Windows were broken. Tables overturned. Pieces of broken glass crunched under the feet of investigators trying to figure out what happened.
Photographer Al Herrmann Jr.
How were nearly 700,000 people able to find moments of quiet and solitude amidst the din?
The station at 10th Street and Liberty Avenue began its operation on October 12, 1901.
In 1991, Gov. Robert P. Casey announced his plan to close the facility. A year later, it was empty.